Using Your Health Plan


How do I enroll myself for health benefits?
Use "MyUW" to enroll for benefits during your class registration process.

What is a qualifying event?
A qualifying event allows you to enroll dependents outside of the regularly scheduled enrollment period.
Examples of qualifying events are marriage and birth or adoption of a child.

What is a family tier?
When you enroll for Health coverage you choose a coverage tier. Tiers are defined as:

  • Student only
  • Student and spouse/registered domestic partner
  • Student and children
  • Student and family (includes spouse/registered domestic partner and children)

How do I enroll a dependent?
Download an enrollment form and mail it to LifeWise.

I am enrolled in the ISHIP plan (annually or quarterly), how do I get my new spouse or baby added to my plan?
If the addition of a dependent is within the Family Tier you specified at the time of enrollment fill out an enrollment form and have the ISHIP office submit it to LifeWise Assurance Company (LifeWise)

You must enroll your new dependent within 30 days of marriage or domestic partner registration, or within 60 days of birth or placement for adoption.

What if I enroll and then decide I don’t want to purchase health insurance coverage?
With a few exceptions, you can only cancel your coverage during the open enrollment period.

Benefits & Coverage

How do I file a claim?
Healthcare providers normally bill LifeWise directly for services to you and your enrolled dependents. If you need to submit a claim to LifeWise you can complete and sign an appropriate Claim form and submit it to:

LifeWise Assurance Company
PO Box 91059
Seattle, WA

How do I file a complaint or appeal a claim?
You may appeal any LifeWise decision you find unacceptable or was not resolved to your satisfaction. Mail a letter stating your intention to appeal a LifeWise decision to: 

LifeWise Assurance Company
PO Box 91102
Seattle, WA 98111-9202

Describe the circumstances of your situation with as much detail as possible. Please provide us with your name, member identification number, current address, and telephone numbers where we may contact you during business hours.

What if I have coverage with another insurance plan?
You will receive an Other Coverage Questionnaire with your welcome packet. 

Who are the network providers for this plan so I can get the highest percentage of coverage?
Find a network provider here.

I am an international student and I have other health insurance coverage. What do I do?
International students are required to carry health insurance. If you have other health insurance coverage, contact your Registrar's office for more information.

I need verification that I am enrolled in the student insurance plan. How do I do that?
The University of Washington Student Insurance office can provide the verification. You can visit their office at 459 Schmitz; email them at; or call them at 206-543-6202. They can print out the verification for you to pick up at this office, email or scan it to your computer, or mail it to your address.

How do I use my pharmacy benefits and other network pharmacies?
For more information, refer to your benefit booklet:

What do I need to know about Prior Authorization? 

If you get a medical service that requires prior authorization without obtaining prior authorization, you may be liable for the entire cost of the service if it is not medically necessary.

NOTE: If you do not get a required prior authorization, LifeWise Assurance Company will still review the services to see if they are covered.

You may be required to pay the full cost of the service if:

  • The service is not covered
  • The service was performed by a provider outside the LifeWise network or state of Washington or Oregon and is not considered medically necessary

View the Prior Authorization Services List for more information.